Anyways, the point is that I don't have a bike yet. New bikes start at around 150 euros; however, I keep hearing things about a bike black market where you can get bikes for 30 euros. Except they're probably stolen. Rotterdamnit. Since I have yet to find a bike, I have been walking everywhere. There is a shopping district towards the center of Rotterdam that's about 2 miles from my apartment. Today I happened upon an open-air market like I used to find in Brussels:
Vendors sell everything from clothes, to jewelry, to textiles, to vegetables and cheese, premade lunch and snack items, etc. I was there for a late lunch, so I ended up getting a 'Turkish pizza' (which was meant to be heated up but I was hungry and enjoyed the refreshing coldness) and a broodje bratwurst (sausage sandwich with onions); however, the king of all food royalty is the stroopwafel with Nutella and coconut flakes...the best thing I've eaten since I discovered Biscoff cookie spread (called Speculoos here):
Proverbial 'they' say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I say "When in Rotterdam, eat stroopwafels with Nutella and coconut flakes, or else SEVEN DAYS." All your calorie are belong to me. I earned the hell out of those calories - I estimate having walked 10 miles over the past 2 days.
In addition to eating and perusing the market, I spent most of the day shopping at various big stores. First, I tried HEMA, which is the Dutch answer to Target. It is filled with all sorts of unnecessarily-neon-colored objects, overpriced clothing and organizing supplies, a small food shopping and cafe area, and a mysterious one-way escalator which forced me into a parking garage. Nonetheless, I managed to get some useful household supplies there, as well as a stylin' rainjacket for 15 euros. Afterwards, I tried Blokker, which is like a pint-sized Target. It had a couple of neat items that I picked up, including a color-changing light shaped like a wine bottle and a fleece blanket with a random squirrel on it. One thing I didn't get, since it's kind of useless, is this Euro-decorated piggybank:
After stopping into a few more random shops, I made my way back to the grocery store, Albert Heijn. They had buffalo mozzarella for 2.50 euros, so I exploded in the store and they had to clean up all the body parts. I hyperbolized the last bit, but it was pretty exciting. So was finding a Lay's potato chip flavored with teriyaki sauce. I'm intrigued to try it, but if I die of salt poisoning there's the reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment